Pages

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Fat Little Fit Foodie: A Low Carb Burger That Will Blow Your Mind!!!

OK, OK, OK....I have a confession. I absolutely LOVE burgers!!  I'm the quintessential "burger and fries" chick.  In fact, I'd probably prefer going to Five Guys Burgers and Fries or Cheeburger Cheeburger for a dinner date instead of a fancy smanshy restaurant (but I would never tell him that ::wink, wink::).  Nevertheless, I needed to find better burger options while on this journey toward a slimmer and healthier me.

I've tried the low carb burger using Romaine or Ice Berg lettuce to wrap the burger with instead of bread, but that never really satisfies me.  Luckily, a few weeks ago I stumbled upon this GLORIOUS idea to use portabella mushroom caps as the buns for the burger instead of bread!!!! Ummm??? Hell yeah!!! My mouth started watering at the thought lol!

Here's my spin on the yummy idea. I added some Fat Little Fit Girl flavor, lol! :-)

Warning: I love A LOT of flavor so I added seasonings and spices to my burger that some folks probably wouldn't use.  Add whatever you'd prefer and omit what you don't like.

What you'll need:
  • Freshly ground organic turkey breast (enough for one sensibly sized burger patty.  Whole Foods will ground whatever amount you need and sell it to you by weight.)
  • Green onion
  • Garlic clove
  • Fresh jalapeno (just a tad)
  • Cilantro
  • Curry powder
  • Italian seasoning
  • Black pepper
  • Chili powder (just a tad)
  • Salt (just a tad)
  • Garlic powder
  • Onion powder
  • 2 large portabella mushroom caps
  • Spinach
  • Tomato (a slice)
  • Parmesan cheese (Shredded)
  • Olive oil
  • Dannon Oikos Roasted Red Pepper Greek Yogurt Dip (You can find this at your local grocery store)
Steps for Portabella Caps:
  1. Set oven to 350 degrees
  2. Drizzle a tea spoon of olive oil into a small baking dish
  3. Place the portabella caps into the baking dish
  4. Rub the portabella caps in the olive oil to get them coated nicely and sit them rounded side up
  5. Sprinkle Italian seasoning, black pepper and a tad of salt on to the mushrooms to taste
  6. Place in the oven and bake until mushrooms are tender for about 10-15 minutes (note: the mushrooms will create their own juices so be sure to use a baking dish that will catch any drippings).
  7. Set the cooked mushrooms aside for later use
Steps for the Burger Patty:
  1. Finely dice the green onion, garlic clove,  jalapeno (half or less than half) and cilantro.
  2. Add the ground turkey, diced green onion, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro and all of the spices mentioned above (just a tad of salt) to a bowl. Mix everything together really, really WELL and form your burger patty.
  3. Add a tad of olive oil to a skillet. Let warm.
  4. Place your burger patty into the skillet.  Cook both sides until it's WELL, WELL, WELL done (WARNING: You don't want to eat ground turkey rare)
  5. Once the patty is done cooking, place it on a napkin to catch the drippings and prepare to build your burger!
Steps for Building your Burger:
  1. Grab your portabella caps and spread the red pepper yogurt dip on the caps
  2. Add one slice of tomato to a cap
  3. Add a nice helping of fresh spinach to a cap
  4. Add the turkey burger patty
  5. Sprinkle some parmesan cheese on to the patty
  6. Place the other cap on top
Serve with half an avocado and a pickle!!!! ENJOY!!!!!!!!!  Let me know if you try this yummy recipe!!!! Tell me what you think!!!!

Stay fit and fabulous!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love this recipe! I'm definitely gonna steal it! I'm not big avocado fan but everytHing else I'm a take! Thanx Aletha

    ReplyDelete